11/30/09

Croissants



This is quite possibly one of the most challenging things I've ever made. My mom, sister, and I joined forces in this attempt. It took us three days before they were finished. We also ended up throwing out the first batch! My mom and sister quit on them after the first "turn." I persevered and saved them. Good thing I did cuz these were the flakiest, butteriest croissants I've ever had outside of Europe!!!


One reason they were so challenging is because not only have we never made them before, but we have never seen anyone make them before. The unknown was part of the frustration. Also, the dough is a "sticky dough." I had never worked with sticky dough before, and let me tell you, it was sticky--and not easy to work with.

First, we made the sticky dough and we beat the butter into a rectangular sheet. We then wrapped the dough around the butter, and started the process of "turning" the dough. This was the confusing, time-consuming part. You have to "turn" the dough--roll it out, and fold it in thirds, about 5 five times, letting it rest in the refrigerator 30-45 minutes between each "turn." After the last turn, the dough needs to cool in the refrigerator between 4 and 8 hours. Lastly, you roll the dough out, cut it into triangles, shape the croissants, and let it rise for about 2 hours. The dough will rise once it is out of the refrigerator. After it rises, glaze it with an egg wash, and bake until golden brown.

It was all worth it when they came out of the oven! I definitely give them an A. And the next time I make them, it will probably take more like 1 day instead of 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. So yummy flaky buttery and delicious :) Next time will be much better.

    ReplyDelete