11/8/09

Biscuits







There are three reasons why I chose to make biscuits. First, my favorite biscuit in a can has 3.5 grams of trans fat--per biscuit. Trans fat comes from overly processed fat--it's not that fat is bad in itself--it's that overly processed fat is bad. Second, I wanted to use my rolling pin. I've never used a rolling pin before. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can still make these biscuits--just use a straight-edged wine bottle. The third reason why I chose this recipe is because I had all of the ingredients already--and I wanted to get rid of this heavy whipping cream that I purchased for a different project.

Kneading the dough and using a rolling pin was so much fun. I've never done either before, and trust me, it was super easy. The key is to not overwork the dough. I think this is a great beginner recipe for anyone who wants to play with dough. My goal is to eventually make my Great Aunt Hesther's roll recipe. My older sister and mom make it EVERY Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a complicated recipe, so I am practicing skills I'll need to make it. (And the biscuits tasted pretty good too!)
Difficulty: Easy
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 10-12 minutes
Servings: 6

Recipe- Biscuits
1 and 3/4 cups all-purose flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place rack in center of oven. Preheat to 450.
2. Combine all of the ingredients and stir just until the dough holds together (don't over mix!) I used the dough hook attachment on my kitchen aid mixer for this part.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 7 or 8 times. (if NOT using the dough hook) (Ladies, you may want to take your rings off for this part). Using a rolling pin (lightly flour the rolling pin or wine bottle), roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/2 inch. (You may want to use a ruler). Tip for using a rolling pin: You roll out from the center. Put the pin in the center of the kneaded dough, and work your way out. (Center of the clock to 12, center to 3, center to 6, center to 9--you get the picture). Using a 4-inch diameter cutter (I used a cup), cut out as many biscuits as possible. Place the biscuits 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Take the scraps and roll out and cut more biscuits, until all of the dough is used.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes (until the tops are golden brown). Serve warm.
***IF you overwork the dough, your biscuits will be hard! Making breads takes practice. Try, try again! There is definitely a learning curve for kneading and rolling out dough.

5 comments:

  1. These biscuits are so flaky, buttery, and delicious...Even plain! Ever since moving to Cali. I have been missing homemade biscuits and this hits the spot. Val...don't eat my last biscuit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those biscuits look so good! Mmmm, I can almost taste it...Can I get one or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG those biscuits look so good! Mmmm, I can almost taste them....Can I get one or two?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you assume those of us without rolling pins have empty wine bottles sitting around?? okay, you are right...but still funny. Can't wait to try this because you've turned me off the biscuits in a can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suck at rolling pins! I think that's the reason I have a genuine fear of making homemade breads/doughs. Congrats on your success lol

    ReplyDelete