11/13/09

Mashed Potatoes




A 10 pound bag of potatoes were on sale at my neighborhood grocery store for 99 cents! I couldn't pass it up. So, you will probably see a number of potatoe recipes in the coming days!

I was too lazy to peel the potatoes before I cooked them, so I just scrubbed them under cold water, poked them with forks in several places, and placed them on the oven--directly on the rack. I baked them at 425 until they were tender (about 55 minutes).

I then removed the potatoes from the oven, and their skin came off very easily. I put the skinless potato chunks in my potato ricer (see pic). You obviously do NOT need a potato ricer to make mashed potatoes. But, I DID need a potato ricer when I attempted to make gnocci (Italian potato dumplings) earlier this summer.

I have made mashed potatoes many times before, but having a potao ricer made it SO easy. You just put the potatoes in the ricer, and then squeeze the handles. The potatoes come out as tiny, rice-like pellets. I then added a few tablespoons of butter. I had some half and half left over from something else, so I poured the half and half in, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring, until the mashed potatoes reached the consistency I wanted. Then, salt and pepper to taste. TOO easy. Take about 90 seconds after you have "riced" the potatoes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment