10/25/09

Pesto









Stop and Smell the Basil...

We live in a fast-paced world. Sometimes, we need to just slow down and take a moment to appreciate the beauty around us.

As I walked through the market a few days ago, I smelled basil. I, personally, have a problem of going to the market and buying many things that are not on my grocery list, causing me to go over budget. However, I took a moment and smelled the sweet smell of fresh basil. I was instantly inspired to make pesto.

Pesto is a raw sauce that can be used to spice up pasta, soups, or even mashed potatoes. I used a food processor, but it is traditionally made with a granite mortar and pestle. You don't really need a recipe for pesto. Just add however much of the ingredients that you like for the texture you like.


Recipe-Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves
3 cloves of garlic
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup of pine nuts
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

My easy way: Put everything in the food processor and pulse until mixed. Traditional way: chop everything.

I like to put my pesto over whole wheat pasta, and top with grated cheese.


2 comments:

  1. Pesto is my FAVORITE sauce. I can eat it on anything. When I discovered they go with mashed potatoes my life changed...thanks for sharing in my love for the green stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evidence Muffins ;o)November 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

    You inspired me to try this for dinner tonight...me and the bf give it two thumbs up!! I will never do store-bought pesto again!

    ReplyDelete