10/21/09

Banana Bread


Banana bread that actually tastes like banana...

Yes, I made banana bread just last week. But, I had some overripe bananas that I never got around to eating. And the recipe that I tried tonight was slightly different than the one I used last week. This one is healthier because it calls for wheat flour.

What I like about this recipe--or pretty much any recipe for homemade banana bread--is that it actually tastes like banana. This is not the case for banana bread in a box. Boxed banana bread is missing that authentic banana flavor. It's a flavor that you may not even realize is missing because you've been eating banana bread from a box since childhood.

Do yourself a favor and try making real banana bread! Or, come over to my house (if you live in L.A.) and try some. I've been baking faster than my roommate and I can eat...

Prep time: about 30 minutes
Bake time: 30-45 minutes (depending on size of muffin cups)
Servings: 6 big muffins; 12 normal size muffins

Recipe- Banana Bread

1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 overripe bananas (if they're not ripe, they won't be sweet enough)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cold milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) OR 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)

1. Make sure the oven rack is in the center. Preheat to 400. Smear muffin tins with butter
2. Measure the all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Mix in nuts or poppy seeds (optional).
3. Using a stand mixer (preferable), hand mixer, or sturdy whisk, whisk the butter and sugar until fluffy and light yellow--about 5 minutes.
4. Add the bananas and continue mixing at a high speed until the bananas are blended with the butter and sugar. With the mixer speed on low, beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the milk and vanilla.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, using the paddle attachment of your mixer on low speed. If you don't have a mixer, use a wooden spoon. Mix until there is no trace of flour left, but do not over mix.
6.
Scoop batter into muffin tins. Fill each tin to the top. Bake on the center rack 35-40 minutes (for big muffins). Less time if you are using a 12 muffin cup tin. Remove as soon as a toothpick inserted deep into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the tin and place it on a wire rack for a few minutes. Then, remove the muffins from the tin and let cool on the wire rack. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot like the recipe I used last week. My banana bread also turned out delicious. The writer of my recipe suggested always use whole milk when baking. Your directions used muffin tins but your picture looked like maybe you used a cake pan. I used a loaf pan so mine were taller. Keep up the good work!!!

    Love,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guests are welcome, but they DEFINITELY won't find banana bread. It was sooo delicious. I really appreciated the taste of the wheat flour. I can certainly taste the difference. It reminds me of a more wholesome food. Val, how about bran muffins next time! I brought these to Harbor for the residents and they only lasted a few seconds. Everyone raved. Thanks Vallery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy. But I'll pick Zucchini bread over banana any day. Have you ventured into the world of the zucchini? If so, please share a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooo I want some! Bring some to school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20s Enthusiast, I have a recipe for Zucchini bread I'll try out next week. If you'll be in L.A. for the weekend, I will make it when you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm coming straight to your house next weekend if you bake some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. Come on then! Let me know what day you get here so it will be fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your courage and zeal to start a website that offers healthy alternatives for enjoying food. I have been a vegan since early February this year, so I welcome any new recipes that you may have to offer and I would like to pass some on to you. I made the banana bread last night and used a loaf pan. It came out perfect, texture and all, although I would have to tweek certain things such as the all-purpose flour (using all whole wheat only), and instead of using whole milk, use vanilla soy milk, and use stivia sugar instead of white sugar, but I wanted to stay true to your recipe on the first try. Also, I buy overripe bananas from Calandros on Siegen Lane. I wanted to make this recipe for the longest so again, thank you. I cut the whole loaf and brought some down to the ladies at work this morning. I couldn't wait to try it last night and WOW, I had to make myself go to bed. I think I may try the tortilla soup next. Also, I found a falafel recipe that I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete