3/30/10

Wine + Art


On a recent trip to Baton Rouge, I went to Corks-N-Canvas, an art studio that mixes learning to paint with drinking wine.  I was instantly intrigued--we all think of pairing wine with cheese, but why not art?

The studio focuses on the concept of art as entertainment.  With a little instruction, anyone can paint.  My mother had already been to the New Orleans Magazine Street location where she painted a crooked house. My mother happens to be extremely artistic, so her pieces looked very good.
That was an interesting thing about the class.  Yes, we were all painting the same object, but, everyones looked different. Very different. There was a bonafide artist sitting next to me, and her painting was downright inspiring.  The class was three hours long--though I was so into it, I could have used an extra hour or two.   Music even played lightly in the background (I was impressed by the playlist, which included India Arie).  It was therapeutic.  I was able to focus all of my energy in one place--the tip of my paint brush and the strokes that followed.

I have no doubt that this concept will be popping up all over the country.  Those of you with a lot of liquidity, look into franchising options!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I hope they bring it to California soon. And your piece looked amazing! I really thought it was professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vallery, your piece was REALLY good too! I had a ball and thank you for making my birthday one to remember. The cake you baked tasted just like my favorite one from the Roslyn Bakery that used to be in Indy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! and i agree, this is a must have in cali!

    ReplyDelete