4/9/10

Strawberry Season!

I just bought a pound of strawberries from my local grocer for 79 cents!  I've always loved strawberry season.  As a little girl, my family would go to a friend's strawberry field and pick crates of fresh strawberries.  My mother and sister would stay in the car, so it was just my dad and I out in the field--getting dirty and having a good time!  After we ate as many fresh strawberries as we could, my parents would make jars of strawberry preserves.  

Several months ago, I came across a beautiful strawberry tart that I wanted to make.  I patiently waited for strawberries to be in season, and finally got around to making it just yesterday.

 I'm always a little wary about fruit tarts because their taste rarely matches their aesthetics.  I altered the recipe and used my grandmother's famous "strawberry delight" crust instead of a regular pie crust.  But, this was fairly simple to make, and even easier if you buy a pre-made pie crust.  (The recipe is at the bottom of the post.)

 I pretty much never make it to Louisiana during strawberry season these days.  But I did this year.  I'm so glad I did, because I got to enjoy some Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager.  I found some at the Fresh Market which is walking distance from my house.  This beer was so delicious!  I'm not really a beer girl, but it was very light and crisp, with a slightly sweet taste and the aroma of strawberries throughout.  The beer is made with Louisiana strawberries that were picked at their ripest, so it's seasonal and only a very limited supply is made.
Strawberry Tart Recipe
1 fully baked pie crust
1 cup cream cheese or mascarpone cheese, cold
3/4 cup heavy cream, cold
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
20 fresh strawberries, hulled

1. Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with the whip attachment of a stand mixer, or a hand mixer on medium, until firm peaks form (about 2 minutes).  Pour into the fully baked pie crust.  Arrange the strawberries on to the tart. Refrigerate.
2. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment