2/25/10

Rugelach


I'm not the only 3L at USC Law that has time to bake.  In the past week, there were multiple occasions when homemade goodies were being passed around the classroom.  From homemade shortbread, to Rugelach (a Jewish pastry).  I didn't even know what rugelach was--I just knew that the texture of this cookie/pastry was incredible, and I had to try to replicate it.

"Tom" baked them.  I don't know who Tom is, but whoever you are, thank you for introducing me to these delicious treats.  The texture is so flaky and soft.  I ate several of these for breakfast this morning with a latte.  It was one of those surreal, I'm so thankful moments...

Here is the recipe and some photos of the rugelach-making process...

Recipe- Rugelach.  Yields 48 cookies.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1" squares
1 8oz. package cream cheese, cut into 1" squares
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
8 tablespoons apricot preserves (optional)
OR mini chocolate chips (optional)


1. In a food processor (or stand mixer), pulse flour, salt, butter, cream cheese, and sour cream until crumbly (like pie crust).  Shape the crumbly mixture into 4 equal discs, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until the dough is firm.  It should chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
2. Once chilled, roll each disc into a 9" round on a lightly floured surface, keeping the other discs chilled until you are ready to roll them.
3. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, chopped nuts, and finely chopped raisins.  You may substitute mini chocolate chips for raisins.  Sprinkle the round with the sugar/nut mixture.  
4. With a sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut each round into 12 wedges.  Roll the wedges from the wide end to the narrow end, and place on ungreased baking sheet.  Chill for 20 minutes before baking.
5. Preheat oven to 350.  Bake on the center rack for 22 minutes, until light golden.  Cool completely on wire racks.  Store in airtight containers.  
VARIATIONS: Before putting the filling on the dough, use a pastry brush to layer 2 tablespoons of apricot jam.  Then add the recommended filling.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That does look yummy! I was craving French pastries today and this sort of reminds me of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (According to wikipedia..) the French croissant and Rugelach may share a common Viennese ancestor. lol. So I'm not surprising that it reminds you of a French pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delish, Val! I'm going to have to try this recipe on my own one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evidence Muffins ;o)February 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM

    This makes me so sad I don't have class with you this semester. Please bring some to dinner tmw night!

    ReplyDelete